Monday 30 May 2016
Every year, on the second Bank Holiday Monday in May, the main street in South Harting is closed to traffic to allow villagers, friends and visitors to gather for the Harting Festivities.
Since 1880, the Harting Old Club has had its annual meeting on Whit Monday. The village Festivities started in 1961, replacing the traditional funfair which used to take centre stage in the street.
This year there will be lots of things to see and do with over 40 stalls, including:
- The Harting Old Club march
- Children’s activities, bouncy castle (weather permitting), juggling and storytelling
- Fancy dress competition (this year's theme is "Space")
- Hoopla, coconut shy, skittle alley and other traditional games
- Football penalty shoot out
- NEW - Human fruit machine (limited appearance)
- Barbecue, teas, cakes and ice cream
- NEW - Food outlets: Fish Story and a wood-fired pizza oven
- Jazz band and brass band performances
- NEW - Try your hand at pottery - make a pot
- Dog show and dog agility demonstration
- NEW - Festivities necklace and jewellery stall
- Bottle, plant and bric-a-brac stalls
- Local craft, food and produce stalls - including Felix & Tabitha, Handmade Happiness, Hector and the Fox, plus many others
- A large, indoor book stall
- Children's book stall
- Prize draw
- Fun runs
We'll also hope to have frequent screenings of the Harting film which shows how people lived, worked and enjoyed their leisure time in the village in 1956.
Entry is free and there's free parking at the Harting Memorial playing field (on the Petersfield road).
Please see the Location page for more details of how to get here and where to park
Please join us on Monday 30 May 2016, when we will be celebrating the 56th annual Harting Festivities.