Monday 29 May 2017
Every year, on the second Bank Holiday Monday in May, the main street in South Harting is closed to traffic to allow villagers, friends and visitors to gather for the Harting Festivities.
Since 1880, the Harting Old Club has had its annual meeting on Whit Monday. The village Festivities started in 1961, replacing the traditional funfair which used to take centre stage in the street.
This year there will be lots of things to see and do, including:
- The Harting Old Club march
- Children’s activities, face painting, bouncy castle (weather permitting), juggling and storytelling
- Children's carousel and other funfair rides and games
- Fancy dress competition (this year's theme is "People of the world")
- Coconut shy, and other traditional games
- Prize draw - £250 cash first prize
- Fun runs (register on the day)
- Dog show (bring your dog and enter on the day - there are lots of classes for all types of dogs)
- NEW - 'Have-a-go' Dog Agility - starting at 1.00pm, you and your dog can try a fun dog agility course, kindly organised by Dogs First
- Music from strolling jazz band, brass band and A Choir Named Dave performances
- NEW - Performances by Knockhundred Shuttles, a North-West Clog and Morris side from Midhurst
- NEW - Petersfield & District Beekepers Association - find out about keeping bees, see bees in an observation hive, make a beeswax candle.
- Human fruit machine (limited appearance)
- Festivities Barbecue, teas & cakes
- Food outlets, popcorn and candyfloss, and ice cream
- Festivities necklace and jewellery stall
- Bottle, plant and bric-a-brac stalls
- Local craft, food and produce stalls - including Durleighmarsh Farm Shop, Leslie Prior Collectibles and Artwork, Simply Garlic, Sweet Plum Lampshades, Time Aside Sensory Art, plus many others
- Large, indoor book stall
We also hope to have frequent screenings of the Harting film which shows how people lived, worked and enjoyed their leisure time in the village in 1956.
Entry is free and there's free parking at the Harting Memorial playing field (on the Petersfield road).
Please see the Location page for more details of how to get here and where to park. Please use the free parking and park and ride minibuses - there's no parking in the village.
To give you a feel of the Festivities, here are two videos of the 2016 event:
And this one showing the Festivities from a younger perspective:
Harting Festivities is a mix of tradition and entertainment, for the Old Club, villagers and our visitors. All money raised goes to local groups and charity.
The Festivities couldn't be run without the help of a band of volunteers from the local community who give their time and energy to organise and marshal the event, and run the Festivities on the day - the barbeque, book stall, bottle stall, jewellery stall, bric-a-brac stall, & traditional games are all run by our wonderful volunteers.
Please join us on Monday 29 May 2017, when we will be celebrating the 57th annual Harting Festivities.